China made a shocking announcement on Monday when it deployed 150,000 troops to the North Korean border.
Daily Mail reported that the troops have been sent there to prepare for pre-emptive attacks after the United States dropped airstrikes on Syria. This airstrike was widely seen as a warning to North Korea by Donald Trump.
South Korea’s Chosun.com said that China sent in the troops to handle North Korean refugees and “unforeseen circumstances,” such as the prospect of preemptive attacks on North Korea. This comes after the U.S. sent the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier strike group from Singapore to North Korea as the country conducted more missile testing.
Last week, Trump met with Chinese President Xi Jinping to pressure him to convince Kim Jong Un to stop his nuclear missile tests.
“(We) are prepared to chart our own course if this is something China is just unable to coordinate with us,” said US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who added Beijing had indicated a willingness to act on the issue.
“We need to allow them time to take actions,” Tillerson said, going on to make it clear that Washington had no intention of attempting to remove the regime of Kim Jong-Un.
Trump has previously threatened to take unilateral action on North Korea if they don’t cease with their testing. Yesterday, US National Security Adviser HR McMaster slammed North Korea as a rogue nation engaged in provocative behaviour and said denuclearisation of the peninsula “must happen.”
“The president has asked them to be prepared to give us a full range of options to remove that threat,” he said.
What do you think about this? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section.